2. What is Personal Information?
“Personal Information” is information that, either alone or in combination with other information, identifies you. When we combine other information (i.e., information that does not, on its own, identify you) with Personal Information about you, we treat the combined information as Personal Information.
3. How We Collect and Use Personal Information
A. Personal Information You Provide to Us
We collect the following types of information that you provide to us:
- Contact Information
In addition, if you choose, you may participate in an ASHRAE e-mail list server by subscribing on the Site or by contacting ASHRAE staff directly. You may unsubscribe from these e-mail list servers by following the unsubscribe instructions found within the list email.
- Member Login Information
- Membership Information
ASHRAE uses the information provided through membership forms to process membership applications and related requests. For example, ASHRAE processes ASHRAE member grade and ASHRAE membership number when provided in advancement forms; membership in other associations; information on your involvement in ASHRAE such as offices held, committees served on, etc.; educational background; professional background; and personal and professional references. We process this information only as necessary to provide you with the benefits of membership. We also archive membership information for historical purposes.
- Bookstore Purchase and Event Registration Information
When you purchase books, papers, reports, and other offerings, we collect information relating to your purchase for the purpose of fulfilling your requested purchase and to help further our legitimate interest in better understanding your interests in technical subjects so we can improve our future offerings. Similarly, when you register for an event, we process Personal Information, such as special accommodations requested, in order to reserve your space at the event and to further our legitimate interest in preparing for the event.
- Payment Information
When you purchase a membership, register for an event, or buy products from us, third-party service providers acting on our behalf process payment information, including payment card details and billing and shipping addresses, to help us fulfill your orders.
- Information Collected through Various Forms
ASHRAE gathers information from online forms that are often similar or identical to the information it gathers from traditional printed forms. When you submit information through forms, whether offline or on the Site, you voluntarily provide ASHRAE with the information requested, and ASHRAE will use the information in order to take the action requested, to complete a requested transaction, or for other reasons related to the purposes for which you provide the information.
For example, award nomination forms allow individuals to nominate someone for ASHRAE awards. We use information submitted through award nomination forms to consider the nomination and to contact award winners to notify them of the award. As another example, ASHRAE uses information on a scholarship application, such as educational and employment record, references, and your advisor’s name, to process scholarships.
In addition, ASHRAE may check the information a user has provided via any forms against any information ASHRAE has about the user in its customer database. ASHRAE does this to help further its legitimate interests in maintaining the most current and accurate information about its customers.
B. Information We Automatically Collect through our Site
We collect the following types of information automatically when you use the Site:
- Log Information
When you use our Site, our servers automatically record information, including your Internet Protocol address (“IP Address”), browser type, referring URLs (e.g., the site you visited before coming to our Site), number of clicks, and how you interact with links on the Site, domain names associated with your internet service provider, pages viewed, and other such information (collectively, “Log File Information”). We may also collect similar information from emails sent to you which then help us track which emails are opened and which links are clicked by recipients. We use Log File Information collected from our implementation of the Site to further our legitimate interests in securing the Site by identifying potential threats and vulnerabilities, and in analyzing the effectiveness of our Site to improve the Site’s function and content.
- Cookies and Similar Technology
Most browsers provide you with the ability to block, delete, or disable cookies, and your mobile device may allow you to disable transmission of device identifiers. If you choose to reject cookies or block device identifiers, some features of the Site may not be available or some functionality may be limited or unavailable. Please review the help pages of your browser or mobile device for assistance with changing your settings.
Without an industry or legal standard of interpreting Do Not Track Signals (“DNT”) sent to us by your browser, we do not respond to DNT signals at this time. To learn more about how DNT works, please visit http://allaboutdnt.com/.
4. To Whom We Disclose Personal Information
- ASHRAE Chapters and Sections. We disclose information to ASHRAE Chapters and Sections to facilitate communication between the Chapter and Section leaders and the members of their Chapters or Sections. Similarly, we disclose information as necessary to facilitate the communication of ASHRAE members who are investigating local interest in forming an ASHRAE Chapter or Section with the ASHRAE members in that geographic area. Such communication is critical to the success of ASHRAE’s Chapters and Sections. Members who receive this contact information agree to use such information only for limited ASHRAE business purposes.
- ASHRAE Committees, Councils, and Other Groups. By agreeing to participate on an ASHRAE Committee, Council, or other group, individuals consent for us to share their contact information with other members of the group. The members of the group agree to use such information only for limited ASHRAE business purposes.
- Our Service Providers. We employ service providers to perform tasks on our behalf and to assist us in providing the Site. For example, we employ service providers who help with sending emails and maintaining mailing lists (IMS, Infocus Marketing); performing marketing research (Baxter Research); assisting with the ASHRAE Journal and webinars (ON24, Alliance for Audited Media); maintaining and developing our website and apps (Bridgeline, Real Magnet, Results Direct, Element 11, Carmel Software); fulfilling orders and subscriptions (Curtis 1000, Survey & Ballot Systems, Access Worldwide, APC Postal Logistics, Clarivate / Techstreet, iEngineering, King Mailing Services, Lane Press, LSC Communications, Omeda, PBD Worldwide, Taylor and Francis, Web Courseworks); providing certification examination services (PSI Services LLC); and providing conference services (Experient, Confex, Swiftium, and Mira).
- Advertising. From time to time, we engage advertising services that target advertisements on third-party websites based on cookies or other information indicating previous interaction with our Site.
- Google Analytics. We use Google Analytics, an analytics service, to help us analyze the traffic on our Site. For more information on Google Analytics’ processing of Personal Information, please see “How Google uses data when you use our partners’ sites or apps.”
- Companies Involved in Merger and Acquisition Transactions. In some cases, ASHRAE may choose to buy or sell assets. In these types of transactions, user data (including Personal Information) is typically one of the business assets transferred. Moreover, if ASHRAE, or substantially all of its assets, were acquired, user data would be one of the assets that is reviewed and transferred or acquired by a third party.
- Law Enforcement, Government Agencies, and Courts. We may disclose Personal Information at the request of law enforcement or government agencies or in response to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process to establish, protect, or exercise our legal or other rights or to defend against a legal claim or as otherwise required or allowed by law, or to protect the rights, property, or safety of a Customer or any other person. We may also disclose Personal Information to investigate or prevent a violation by you of any contractual or other relationship with us or your illegal or harmful activity.
5. E-Mail Opt-Out
ASHRAE values the privacy and communication preferences of its members and customers, and maintains an e-mail communication and anti-spam policy. You may choose not to receive marketing emails from us and can opt out of such e-mails through your account settings.
6. International Transfers to U.S.
7. Your Data Subject Rights
We provide you with access to—and the ability to edit or delete—certain categories of Personal Information through the Profile page. Our opt-out features, described in Section 5, also enable you to exercise your right to object to certain processing activities.
If you would like to access, amend, erase, export (i.e., data portability), or object to or restrict the processing of Personal Information, you may submit a request to GDPR_portability@ashrae.org. We will promptly review all such requests in accordance with applicable laws.
Depending on where you live, you may have a right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority or other regulatory agency if you believe that we have violated any of the rights concerning Personal Information about you. We encourage you to first reach out to us at GDPR_questions@ashrae.org, so we have an opportunity to address your concerns directly before you do so.
8. Personal Information from Children
We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children. If we learn that we have collected Personal Information from children, and if we do not have a lawful basis to process such Personal Information under applicable law, we will promptly take steps to delete such Personal Information.
9. Retention of Personal Information
10. How We Protect the Confidentiality and Integrity of Personal Information About You
We have implemented security measures to protect Personal Information from loss, misuse, and alteration. Despite these efforts to store Personal Information in a secure operating environment that is not available to the public, we cannot guarantee the security of Personal Information during its transmission or its storage on our systems. Further, while we attempt to ensure the integrity and security of Personal Information, we cannot guarantee that our security measures will prevent third parties such as so-called hackers from illegally obtaining access to Personal Information. We do not represent or warrant that Personal Information about you will be protected against, loss, misuse, or alteration by third parties.